The Chief Executive Officer of Access Holdings, Herbert Wigwe, was reported dead in a helicopter crash in California on Friday night with five other people including Bimbo Ogunbanjo, the chairman of the Nigeria Stock Exchange who was also on the flight.
At the time of writing this, there was no official communication from Access Holding confirming this.
Here are 5 things to know about the CEO:
- Mr. Wigwe has served as the Non-Executive Director of the Bank effective since May 2022. Hitherto, he was appointed Group Managing Director/CEO in 2014 and served in that capacity till May 2022. a Non-Executive Director of the Bank effective May 2022.
- He is an alumnus of the Harvard Business School Executive Management Programme. He also holds a master’s degree in Banking and International Finance from the University College of North Wales, a master’s degree in Financial Economics from the University of London and a B.Sc. degree in Accounting from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- He spent over 10 years at Guaranty Trust Bank Plc where he managed several portfolios, including financial institutions, large corporates and multinationals.
- He is also a member of the Governing Council of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria.
- Mr Wigwe started his professional career with Coopers & Lybrand Associates, an international firm of Chartered Accountants.