28.9 C
Accra

Lagos Gas Explosion: Four-year-old, Grandparent Injured in Lagos Gas Explosion

Medical personnel attached to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) are struggling to save the life of a four-year-old girl, Faridat Shittu, who is in critical condition after a cooking gas explosion ravaged the residence of her parents located at 1, Odubanwo Street, off Olaniyi Street, Gbinrinmi in Ojokoro LCDA, Lagos.

It was learned that Faridat’s grandfather, grandmother, and uncle are also undergoing burn care with various degrees of burns in the incident that occurred on Sunday, February 4, 2024.

If you japa, know wetin you dey do’-Oyinbo Princess who runs ‘Mama Put’ in Lagos

- Advertisement -

Narrating what happened, one of the victims, Faridat’s grandmother, who is currently in severe pain in the hospital, said that she was frying meat when suddenly the oil caught fire, and efforts to control it went beyond their capacity, which led to the explosion of the cooking gas.

The little girl of 4 years, Faridat Shittu, was sleeping in the room when the incident happened yesterday at about 2 p.m. but was rescued successfully by community members and other injured victims.

The whole building of 14 rooms, including shops, completely went down in rubble due to the intensity of the explosion, thereby rendering 11 families homeless.

The landlord of the victims, Pa Femi Odubanwo Solomon, disclosed that neighbours saved him from dying in the incident, as he was initially trapped and is presently squatting in a church opposite his destroyed house.

- Advertisement -

In a related incident, on Sunday, about 100 plank and building materials shops.

18 recycling iron/steel shops, 19 diesel lister generators, 34 Different types of motorcycle machines, five 14-seater buses, three cars, and two trucks were affected by a massive market fire at a multiple-purpose sawmill market located at Awori bus stop behind GTB Bank, Abule Egba, Lagos.

The inferno, which started at about 3 p.m., lasted until about 5:20 p.m. before it was put out completely. However, no one sustained any injury or casualty recorded.

The Chairman of Ojokoro LCDA and his medical team were handling and rendering various assistance to the victims of the two incidents that happened in his area.

While you're here, we just want to remind you of our commitment to telling the stories that matter the most.Our commitment is to our readers first before anything else.

Our Picks

THE LATEST

INSIDE POLITICS

Get the Stories Right in Your Inbox

MORE NEWS FOR YOU