28.2 C
Accra

Saglemi Housing Project: Government Opens Bids For Private Investor Partners

The government is aiming to raise $100 million in private capital from investors to complete the project which has stalled since 2012. 

The Ministry of Works and Housing has officially announced requests for Proposals to select a private investor for the completion of the Saglemi Affordable Housing Project.

“The main objective is to complete and utilize the 1506 housing units at Saglemi. The Ministry of Works and Housing is looking forward to partner the private sector to complete the project for the benefit of the people of Ghana,” said Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the sector minister.

The government is aiming to raise $100 million in private capital from investors to complete the project which has stalled since 2012.

- Advertisement -

The deadline and evaluation for the submission of proposals is from July 9 to 15, 2024, as the government hopes to find an investor by August 30.

Prospective investors are expected to have experience in large-scale housing projects, strong financial backing, and be ready to provide evidence of technical competency and managerial capability, said the technical working group overseeing the project’s completion.

Also, only limited liability compa­nies are eligible to bid.


Read Also: Addressing Ghana’s Housing Deficit: Government To Construct Over 10,000 Housing Units in Accra, Says Oppong Nkrumah

- Advertisement -

Despite the present drive to complete the over-decade-long project, the government has come under criticism before for abandoning it.

Last year, former president Mahama accused the present administration of deciding to invest GHc 500 million in a National Cathedral project while giving no attention to affordable housing units that could potentially solve part of Ghana’s housing problem.

But in its defence, the government had justified abandoning the project, stating that completing it would have resulted in increased national debt.

Former ministers who started the project under the previous administration have also been indicted over acts of alleged embezzlement. Collins Dauda, a former Works and Housing Minister, Executive Chairman of Construtora OAS, the Brazilian company which constructed the af­fordable housing project at Saglemi, and others are currently in court for various counts of causing financial loss to the state.

While you're here, we just want to remind you of our commitment to telling the stories that matter the most.Our commitment is to our readers first before anything else.

Our Picks

THE LATEST

INSIDE POLITICS

Get the Stories Right in Your Inbox

OUR PARTNERS

MORE NEWS FOR YOU

font-family: "meursault-variable", serif; font-variation-settings: "wght" 100, "wdth" 1;