28 C
Accra

Zongo Development Minister Builds 252 Household Toilets for Inner City Communities in Accra

The Inner City and Zongo Development Ministry has claimed it has built about 252 household toilets for inner city communities in the capital.

The ministry undertook this project with the help of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly, Water Project (GAMA-SWP) and supported by the World Bank and the Government of Ghana, a statement by the Ministry’s Public Relations Officer said.

“These inner-city communities include but are not limited to Mudor, Ayalolo, Korle Gonno, Mamprobi, Agbogbloshie, Bukom, Adabraka, Chorkor, Okpongobu, and Kokompe, ” the statement said.

- Advertisement -

The statement further indicated that the World Bank provided 70% of the cost of one household toilet. Residents of the households were supposed to provide the remaining 30%. However, many households were unable to find the money to complement the World Bank’s support. The MICZD stepped in to provide the 30% funding that enabled these households to have toilets in their houses. This project is meant to end open defecation, especially along the beaches of Accra.

According to the PRO, the effort of the MICZD adds to the 27,000 household toilets that have so far been built in the communities of Accra.

Over the weekend, the minister came under attack after a picture of of him and the Mayor of Accra were seen at a single toilet facility. Reports were that the Minister and the Mayor went to commission a single toilet with no social distancing and with handshakes and all.

But the ministry has debunked the reports and said the picture is an old one that has been recycled for the purposes of Mischief.

MORE:  Sexual Violence Most Prevalent Crime in Ghana, Study Says
- Advertisement -

Want to submit a story or pitch?

You can submit articles for publication through our email (editor@theaccratimes.com) or on Whatsapp +233 203255940.

More Stories for you

UK High Commissioner Lauds Ghana’s Media Freedom Efforts

His Excellency Iain Walker has lauded Ghana for ensuring press freedom under its current democratic dispensation. The British High Commissioner while admitting that Ghana can...

Prez. Akufo-Addo Commissions Phase One of Pokuase Interchange

The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, on Wednesday, 25th November 2020, commissioned Phase One of the Pokuase Interchange project, as part...

Akufo-Addo Commissions Ghana’s First Micro-hydro Power Station at Alavanyo

The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, on Saturday, 21st November 2020, commissioned Ghana’s first micro power generating station, located at Tsatsadu,...

DON'T MISS

UK High Commissioner Lauds Ghana’s Media Freedom Efforts

His Excellency Iain Walker has lauded Ghana for ensuring press freedom under its current democratic dispensation. The British High Commissioner while admitting that Ghana can...

25 Western Togoland Secessionists Arrested

DGN Online has gathered that at least 25 members of the secessionist group, Homeland Study Group Foundation, have been arrested by a combined team...

NPP Primaries: List of Confirmed Winners So Far

The Parliamentary primaries of the New Patriotic Party has taken place on Saturday as part of their preparations towards the December 2020 General Elections. A...

Get more news from us

While you are here, please sign up to get more news from us.

OUR TOP PICKS FOR THE WEEK

UK High Commissioner Lauds Ghana’s Media Freedom Efforts

His Excellency Iain Walker has lauded Ghana for ensuring press freedom under its current democratic dispensation. The British High Commissioner while admitting that Ghana can...

25 Western Togoland Secessionists Arrested

DGN Online has gathered that at least 25 members of the secessionist group, Homeland Study Group Foundation, have been arrested by a combined team...