27.2 C
Accra

NDC Demands Dismissal of Attorney-General Godfred Dame Over Conduct in Ambulance Trial

The NDC on Tuesday released a 16-minute audio, and WhatsApp text messages that it says proves an attempt by the AG to coerce Mr. Richard Jakpa, to give false testimonies that would implicate Minority leader, Ato Forson.

The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) is demanding either the resignation or dismissal of the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Godfred Dame, moments after releasing a phone conversation over his conduct in the prosecution of the party’s Minority leader in Parliament and one other in the ambulance case currently pending in court.

During the Moment of Truth series [May 28], the NDC released a 16-minute audio and WhatsApp text messages which according to them prove an attempt by the AG to coerce Mr. Richard Jakpa, (the third accused person in the case) to give false testimonies that would implicate Minority leader, Ato Forson.

“Friends from the media, it is clear from the incontrovertible evidence that we have adduced today, that the government has no evidence of wrongdoing against the Minority leader, but is only involved in fabrications to prosecute him as retribution for his strong opposition to economic mismanagement of the Akufo-Addo Bawumia government,” party Chairman Aseidu Nketia said at a press conference today, May 28.

- Advertisement -

Read Also

Join our WhatsApp Channel for more news


The party also wants the General Legal Council (the body that regulates the legal profession in Ghana) to institute disciplinary proceedings against the Attorney-General, and possibly disbar him.

The NDC’s demands come on the back of revelations in court last week, where Richard Jakpa said he had been approached at odd hours by Dame to have him give incriminating testimony against Ato Forson.

- Advertisement -

On May 23, the Chairman of the National Democratic Congress, Johnson Asiedu Nketia through a press release minutes after the court proceedings, lashed out at the A-G, referring to Ato Forson’s trial as blatant persecution and doing the bidding of a government that is relentlessly subverting judicial processes.

“The NDC wishes to serve notice that early next week, the party shall hold a full-blown press conference and put out incontrovertible evidence on this matter that will shock the nation. We will stop at nothing in pursuing this matter to its logical conclusion and ensuring that justice is done,” he added.

However, the Attorney-General has denied wrongdoing, saying he also has evidence of being approached by the third accused for a plea deal.

“This plea bargaining proposal has, to date, not been accepted by the Attorney-General. The Attorney-General has video evidence of the first accused, person, Cassiel Ato Forson, coming to meet him and to plead with him to discontinue the prosecution. This, the Attorney-General has refused to do,” he said.

While you're here, we just want to remind you of our commitment to telling the stories that matter the most.Our commitment is to our readers first before anything else.

Our Picks

THE LATEST

INSIDE POLITICS

Get the Stories Right in Your Inbox

OUR PARTNERS

Allafrica.com

MORE NEWS FOR YOU